Monday, December 18, 2017

Day Fourteen



Today is the last page from the book Nature Escapes. It is one of my favorite images in the book. But the goal of today's assignment is simplicity. I wanted to see how the paper would interact with the crayons. Since the paper was fairly smooth I was afraid that the waxy crayon wouldn't fare very well. I layered six different colors to get the effect of the pink feathers. I started with a light pink wash over the entire bird body. I added highlights to individual feathers to try and add some dimension. The goal was to show how simple color washes could add interest for those who do not have the time or inclination to color every single component within an illustration. I wanted to show how adding a color wash could prove to be just as satisfying as some of the intricate coloring of previous examples.



As you can see, the neck was done with six layered colors. The body was done with two layered colors and another color for the dots. The beak was done with two separate colors that were layered. The top part was done with the light yellow first and the orange yellow layer on top. The bottom part of the beak was done with the same two colors in reverse. The frame was done with three separate colors that weren't layered. The background was done with a single color.

The point that I am trying to,illustrate is that you don't have to have a bunch of supplies or a bunch of time to complete these pages. The goal of these books is for you to sit down, relax and enjoy coloring.

In closing, because of the quality of paper, I think the most effective medium is markers. I will test my Copic markers when I return home and will give you another assessment. The second most effective medium is colored pencil. I can't wait to try to see how blending solution will affect the blending of colors. Finally, the least effective medium is crayon. I don't know if it is the new Crayola formula that is causing problems but I will test the pages with a different brand to see if they are more effective.

When you read this, I will be on my way to San Antonio, Texas.

Nature Escapes and markers

Nature Escapes and colored pencils




No comments: