Friday, October 13, 2017

More Mail Art


Another bird in the mail (front)
For today's mail, I had to do some research to determine the largest sized postcard that can be sent in the mail. The answer is 6 1/4 inches (short side) by 11 1/2 inches but you have to use first class postage. To use postcard postage, the postcard can be no larger than 4 1/4 inches (short side) by 6 inches. I was OK in that my postcard was 6 by 9 inches.

I had a leftover piece of this decorative paper that I wanted to use and it fit perfectly on the postcard. The image is too large for most applications but this worked out perfectly. I then used a hummingbird stencil to alter the paper. The recipient also likes used postage stamps so I looked through my stash to find bird postage stamps including a US hummingbird stamp to match the stencil.

Another bird in the mail (back)
Because I was afraid that the postcard wasn't sturdy enough to make it through the mail, I glued a piece of card stock to give it some heft. I then used some clear stamps to stamp the images. I colored the stamped images with Copic markers. I added two more used postage stamps to complete the postcard. I wanted to add more stamps but I realized that I needed room for the address and the greeting. Sometimes deciding when enough is enough can be very trying.

Since I had never dealt with this card stock, I didn't know how the Copic markers would react with the paper. Whenever I am unsure, I do a color study on a scrap piece of the same material. This way I can finalize the colors and see how they react with the paper and the paper's color.

Color Study 1

Color Study 2
The color designations refer to Copic markers.

No comments: