Sunday, November 2, 2014

Christmas in November #2--God's Eye



Today's ornament is another smaller ornament that I have been wanting to make for a long time. I did the research for this craft when I was hosting an Iron Craft Challenge in 2013. The theme of the challenge was Ethnic Crafting. This is a traditional craft from Mexico called Ojo de Dios (God's Eye or the Eye of God).

Materials Used
3 inch craft sticks
Yarn or Embroidery Floss

There are numerous instructions on how to construct these. For written instructions, you can visit here. To see a video (a youtube video will launch), you can visit here. For the samples above, I used three different materials. The example on the far left was made with six strands of embroidery floss. The middle example was made with three colors of Lion Brand Yarns (the bonbon series). The right example used three colors of Lion Brand Yarns (the bonbon series with metallic threads).

Notes
You can use any size sticks you want. Keep in mind, the larger the sticks the more yarn you will need. I chose not to add tassels but those could be included as well. I wanted to make smaller ornaments because I will use these on an miniature tree.

No comments: