Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Iron Craft 2014 Challenge #21--Halloween X-Ray (Project 42)


For this challenge, we were asked to create something for Halloween. Last year, I did a 30 Days of Halloween series so I wanted to make sure that I didn't duplicate something that I had previously done. I decided to do a cutout but I wanted to add some dimension to it.

I was working on my Envelope a Day series and was finishing up my Alphabet series and came across the letter X. I decided to create an x-ray envelope. I then decided to create a larger version for the Iron Craft Challenge.

Supplies Needed:
Black Card Stock
cutting utensil
Rib Cage Graphic
Acrylic Box Frame (I used a 11 x 14 x 1.5 inch frame)
Vellum Paper (either clear or colored)
Cellophane Tape
Small battery operated tea lights
Painter's Tape

Assembly:
1.  Cut out the graphic using black card stock. There are a lot of images out there to use. I think that this would look great done with a skull as well.

2.  Cut out a frame for the image so you can mount the image to the frame. The frame should be the exact side of the frame. (In the image below, you can see my guidelines (in pencil) for cutting the frame.

3.  Mount the image to the back side of the frame with cellophane tape.

4.  Mount the Vellum paper to the back of the cut out. Be sure to cover all of the open spaces in the cutout.

5.  Place the framed image face down into the top of the box frame.

Back view of the image and frame

6.  Cut out a section of the cardboard backing used for the hanging of the box frame. Some box frames have a single sided cardboard hanging piece and some have a double sided hanging piece. My had double sided cardboard. Cut out a rectangle so the light will shine through the back of the cutout. Be sure to cut the side that does not have the mounting holes or you won't  be able to hang your picture if you want to. 

7.  Using painter's tape, turn on the tea lights and mount one to the inside top lip and bottom lip of the cardboard hanging piece. You want to use a low tack tape so you can repeatedly turn on/off the tea lights when not in use or when you want to replace the lights. Since the cardboard backing is very thin, a stronger tape will tear the cardboard.

The cardboard cut out and
mounted tea lights.

8.  Place the cardboard with the tea lights facing down into the box frame and then mount on the wall.

Notes:
The only difficulty is making sure that your tea lights are not larger then the depth of your box frame. I had small tea lights that were able to fit. I had two other versions of tea lights that were too wide to fit.

If you don't want to light up your x-ray, you can mount the cut out to a contrasting color of card stock. I was think about mounting this cut out to an acid green colored card stock.


1 comment:

kat said...

That is so cool! I love it lit up. I think small versions of different skeleton parts would be cool scattered around my book shelves.