Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Handmade Wrapping Paper

Finished project in
White and Silver
Today, I wanted to share with you how I made the handmade wrapping paper that I used for my Iron Craft Challenge this week. I wanted to use recycled products to make this paper. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I didn't want to take up too much floor space for this project so I decided to place the blank paper on the wall so I could access it more readily.

For this project, I used paper packing sheets that were recovered from my office before it was going to be thrown away. My co-workers are used to seeing me digging through the trash to recover items that should be recycled or in my case, paper products that can be reused for other purposes. The paper used here was a rolled thin craft paper made from perforated sheets.

Step One: Secure the sheet of paper.
You want to secure the paper so that it doesn't move while you are painting it. Since the paint will be applied with a dry brush technique or with a paper-blotting technique, you don't want to pull the paper from the wall or other hard surface that you are using.

Step Two: Applying first coat of paint.
Using a wide brush, dip the tips of the bristles in the acrylic paint that you are using. Brush most of paint off onto scrap paper (I used old newspapers). Lightly brush the paint across all sections of the paper and be sure to use a light touch.
First coat of paint
Step Three: Take paper down and wrinkle it.
Wrinkle the paper and tape it down again so you can add the second coat of paint.

Wrinkled and Re-positioned
Step Four: Add another layer of paint
Using the same dry brush technique, add another layer of paint. Try to highlight the new wrinkles and crevices made by wrinkling the paper. I used another layer of white paint since I was doing this for the color challenge in Iron Craft Challenge #23.
Second Layer

Step Five: Add third color of paint
Taking a plastic shopping bag that is crumbled up and placed in your hand, use this to dab paint onto the paper. You want to use an up-and-down motion to add paint. Do not use a wiping motion because you will smear the paint.

Step Six: Let Dry and Iron
When you are ready to use your paper, take it down and let it dry. Once it is dry, place a piece of newsprint or waste paper on top of the painted surface. Take your iron (without using the steam/water setting) and iron the pieces of paper. Be sure to use a lower heat setting (cotton blends setting works for me) and make sure that you iron directly on the waste paper. Also, be sure that the painted paper is face up when you place the waste paper on top. You don't want to ruin your iron or your ironing board.




No comments: