Friday, October 4, 2013

On My Bookshelf--31 Days of Halloween--Day 4


Today's book review isn't really a book review. In lieu of a book review, I have decided to review some of the current magazines that are on display and celebrating Halloween.  I have to say that I am not a magazine reader and I have not viewed a magazine in numerous years.


The first magazine is the October 2013 issue of Real Simple. Even though the front cover is dedicated to Halloween, there are only 8 pages of the magazine dedicated to discussing Halloween ideas. While the spread shows Halloween ideas, there are no explanations as to how to achieve the decorations presented--only a list of the retailers that are represented is provided.


The second magazine is the October 2013 issue of Martha Stewart Living. The cover image is dedicated to Halloween and the graphic indicates that there are 31 fun ideas for Halloween. Unfortunately, I couldn't find all 31 fun ideas. I wish they would have been numbered so I could search the entire magazine for all of the ideas. Somehow, I feel shortchanged because I couldn't find them all. The rest of the magazine is dedicated to all of the status quo features found (I guess) in a regular Martha Stewart magazine.  What I find amazing is the number of advertisements in the magazine.


The third magazine is the Special Issue of Martha Stewart Living dedicated to Halloween. This is the magazine that I should have found initially. There are tons of ideas for some great projects. Most projects have instructions listed but my only complaint is that you need to visit a website to get the templates. The two step process is really annoying. What is the point of buying the magazine when you can go online to get the templates and read the instructions?

If I had to do it all over again, I simply would have bought the Halloween edition of Martha Stewart Living and bypassed the other two magazines.

No comments: