Friday, August 23, 2013

On My Bookshelf


Today's book is another in the series of books that inspire me every time that I look through it. When I am in a rut it is one of five books that will keep me coming back for artful nudges. This week's book is Art at the Speed of Live: Mixed Media Art Every Day by Pam Carriker.

The book is divided into Seven Chapters and includes artist interviews, techniques, recommendations, contemplations on life and art, artists' special projects and a Seven Day Journal Project specifically for the readers to following along the journey.

Not only is the book chock full of great information, suggests, and nudges but most of the time it is done tongue-in-cheek. The seven major chapters are: I Want to Be an Artist when I Grow Up; So Many Supplies, So Little Time; Creating Cyber-Space and Setting Limits; Art Therapy; The Working Artist; Art on the Go; and Reclaim Your Creative Time.

One of my favorite essays is Reining in the Stash.

This book is a must have for those people working in any media. There are so many suggestions and techniques that are applicable to all artistic fields. More importantly, this book is for those people who feel they are too busy or that life has gotten in the way of their artistic desires. The motivations provided in the book are equally as valuable as any of the wonderful illustrated and demonstrated techniques or projects.

I highly, highly, highly (that's 3 highlies, thank you) recommend this book. 

A Garden of Beautiful Deeds 
by Christy Hydeck (featured on p. 15)

Full Disclosure: Neither Amazon., the authors, nor artists have provided any compensation for this review. This book was purchased online without a personal perusal before purchase.

No comments: