Wednesday, August 21, 2013

More Envelopes--A Challenge

As I was going through some of my doodle books, I came across an exercise where the author challenges you not to get into a rut with your doodling--e.g., doing the same thing over and over again. What she suggests that you do is to take the same outline and see how different you can make it appear.

So, I decided to take the challenge. I printed five separate envelopes. The fronts of each have one design and the backs have a separate design. My goal is to see how different the doodles become without referring to the previously completed doodle.

Here are the basic doodles:

Front of Envelope (outline form)

Back of Envelope (outline form)
As you can see, the envelopes were printed with basic geometric figures. I used Microsoft Word and the insert shape feature. The figures were chosen randomly and were placed backwards to forwards. The whole design phase of the outlines took less than 10 total minutes (both sides included).

Here are the results of the first attempt.

Attempt #1--Completed Front
There are two rules that I am placing on myself as I "play" with these doodles. First, I will use a limited number of materials. I have separated a "Sharpie Fine Point Marker Set (24 pieces)" into five separate plastic pen cases. I have added two basic black Sharpie Twin Tip Markers to each case as well. I will only use the contents of a single case for one side of the envelope.

Attempt #1--Completed Back

The second rule that I am using is that I will wait at least one complete day between each envelope so I can try "to forget" what I did on the previous day. I will not view the previously completed envelope(s) so I can attempt to prevent repetition.

Let the experiments begin.



Full Disclosure: Neither Staples nor Sharpie provided any compensation for using or mentioning their products. Mention here is simply for illustrative purposes and does not connote a recommendation or endorsement of any product.


No comments: