Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Subway Art #1


Previously, I shared this envelope with you here, This is the final version of the front of the envelope. I have started a new series called Subway Art that I wanted to share with you and this is the first piece of that series. First, a little background.

I have started my evening job again at the theater. We have a new show in and playing which means that most of my art time has diminished tremendously. I am trying to keep my New Year's resolutions absolute by (1) doing something creative every day, and (2) posting every day from Monday through Friday. So far, I have been able to keep both resolutions.

Not that I am working two full time jobs, sleep is of the most importance so I decided to do mini-art pieces on the way into Manhattan and going home to the Bronx. The transit time is usually about 20 minutes if I don't have to wait for a subway. If I have to wait or if the trains are on slow-down, the travel time could be upwards to one hour.

So, I am dedicating this time to being creative--with minimal supplies. I will only take one pen/marker and some type of surface. Most of these pieces will be mail art (as exhibited above).

Most of the patterns above were created using a one-line technique. In this technique you continuously use a single uninterrupted line. I was amazed at how anal retentive I was when trying to do this technique. I had trouble freeing myself up to simply let the line wander across the page. My mind is so used to thinking in geometric and ordered patterns that I had trouble. Maybe that is the learning experience that I needed.

No comments: