Wednesday, July 10, 2013

From My Stash


Today, I will revitalize a previous series of posts where I share with you some of the materials that I have stashed/hoarded in my studio. The new series will be called From My Stash. It is a generic title so I can share with you the paper and fabric that I have collected and designed. In the past, I have shared from my fabric stash and I used to run a Paper Fridays posting. Under this new series, I can combine the materials in one post.

For the first entry, I wanted to share with you my handmade wax paper. This is industrial grade wax paper that has been crumbled into a ball. It is then colored with old crayons that have far exceeded their use. I collect these old crayons from schools in the area that hold them for me when they get too small for the children to use. In return, I provide them with new boxes of crayons and art supplies that I am no longer using. With my wholesale sources, the schools really do well with the exchange and I feel that I am keeping supplies from being thrown out before their usefulness has been exhausted.

Once the crumbled wax paper has been unfolded and colored, I then take a piece of newsprint and place it on top of the wax paper and iron it so the paper can become useful. I spray fixative on the both sides of the paper to set the crayon although with the heat from the iron this usually isn't an issue.

It is always interesting to uncover the results because they are always different. Each of the pairs of paper above were made using identical colors. Notice how each sample in the pair is different from its mate.

No comments: