Friday, May 3, 2013

On My Bookshelf


This week's book holds a very special place in my heart: Creating Books & Boxes by Benjamin D. Rinehart. This is actually my second copy because the first copy was so used and tattered, I wanted a second copy for reference purposes. When Ben came to The Center for Book Arts (where I take classes), he signed this copy of the book on the title page.

I have to say that this is the one of three books in my library from which I have completed every project--either in class or on my my own. The instructions are clear and precise, the illustrations are well done, and the projects are very approachable.

There are very many aspects of the book which I appreciate but one of the most significant is the explanation of how to make non-traditional boxes--mainly, triangle shaped boxes and circular boxes. Ben also offers techniques to decorate surfaces including photo transfers, paste papers, and Japanese Paper dyeing. There are many techniques that I have learned from Ben, either in class or from the book, that I still use today especially his technique of covering a box from a single sheet of paper (which I have illustrated on this blog on several occasions).

If you are interested in bookbinding, box making, or any type of paper arts, this is a must have reference book for you.

If you are interested in taking classes in bookbinding, box making, printing or any other of the oeuvre of paper arts, you should visit The Center for Book Arts in here NYC (click on the link above to go to their website). They have evening and weekend classes for those who want to visit for the night or weekend (what better way to spend the weekend in NYC--seeing shows at night and taking classes during the day). If you are interested in more extensive classes, they have multi-session classes as well.

Full Disclosure: Neither Amazon.com, the author, or The Center for Book Arts have provided any compensation for this review. This book was initially purchased online without a personal perusal before purchase.

No comments: