Friday, March 1, 2013

On My Bookshelf


As I mentioned in an earlier post, one of my aspirations this year is to play more, artistically. To remedy that situation, I have purchased several books dealing with creativity prompts which include books on doodling and art journaling. The difficulty that I have with many of these books is that they provide you pages upon which to practice. This leads to two problems: (1) the paper isn't of a quality good enough to support different media, and (2) I feel that I am defacing the book if I create on the pages they provide. I was one of those students who wouldn't even use a highlighter in my textbooks because I didn't want to damage the book.

Today's book is Creative Doodling & Beyond by Stephanie Corfee. It is a beautiful book to have in that there are many examples and illustrations from which to draw inspiration. Also, the paper is heavy enough so you can actually create on its pages within the book. For me, I will copy the pages so I can work outside of the book for my own purposes.

Not only does the author provide you with doodling prompts and techniques, she provides you with nine step-by-step projects that allows you to turn your doodles into art.

Doodled Masterpiece, p. 106 from Creative Doodling & Beyond (Stephanie Corfee, author)
This is a bright and vibrant book to add to your library. There are some great projects for inspiration but also enough examples, add-ons, and other attempts to get everyone to doodle. According to the author, everyone can doodle without being an artist. A definite must have for anyone interested in art journaling, creativity, scrapbooking, or artistic inspiration.

Full disclosure: Neither Amazon.com nor the author have provided any compensation for this review. The book was purchased online without a personal perusal before purchase.

1 comment:

luluvision said...

I have this book too!! I used to also not want to write in the book to keep from "damaging" it but for this one, I decided to just go for it and I doodled in the book. It was very hard for me to do! But I wanted to use the book to practice and then "graduate" to the journals I've made. I just joined a mixed media/art journal meetup on the upper west side and have taken a couple of classes. It's called LIttle Bird Creations, look it up on meetup.com if you are interested!