Thursday, February 28, 2013

NY Journal #5


There is no doubt in my mind that my favorite color to create with is BLUE. Blue makes me happy (although, my favorite colors to wear are orange or wine/burgundy). I love all shades of blue--mainly because blue reminds me of blue skies, and outdoors, and lazy days lying in the grass in a pair of shorts and staring up into the sky.

So, when my blue pages came about, I knew that I wanted to use one of my nature pictures. At times, nature is hard to find in NYC, unless you are in Central Park or in the outer boroughs. Nature smack dab in the middle of Manhattan is fairly uncommon--so when you see it, you tend to notice it.



This picture was taken on a pretty Spring day when the trees were developing their leaves. The picture was taken in Chelsea, in lower Manhattan. This was the only tree in front of an apartment complex. The base of the tree was sectioned off by metal fencing to prevent dogs from marking the tree. The roots of the tree had buckled the sidewalk so that the sidewalk was uneven when walking. I crouched under the canopy of the limbs to take this picture.

Two weeks later, the tree was cut down by the owner of the apartment complex. Apparently, he was being sued by someone who had fallen due to the uneven sidewalk caused by the tree's roots. In my mind, this might have been the very last picture taken of this bit of green in the grey urban jungle known as Manhattan.

No comments: