Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tin Wrapping for real

Today, I wanted to show you a real tin that I wrapped to give to a friend for the New Year. I wanted to demonstrate what a real wrapped tin would look like. This is a Harry London tin of chocolates. While the container is pretty enough, the lid has an embossed bow in Christmas colors (this person is Jewish) and the bottom of the tin as all of the nutritional labels associated with food.

I chose a pastel Yuzen paper that I had brought back from one of my visits to Japan. It was already a half sheet of paper so I felt comfortable using it for this project. Because it was an actual gift (rather than a blog demonstration), I carefully measured out the paper. On the reverse side of the paper, I marked a line where I would roll the tin so that it would remain straight. From start to finish (picking paper to tying the bow), I spent 14 minutes wrapping the tin.

Here is the cylinder (Step Two) showing the bottom of the tin.

Here is the side of the tin. Notice how the paper perfectly meets on the top and bottom edge.

Here is the bottom of the tin. Notice that my job was made more difficult by the lip on the bottom of the tin.
I smoothed this out once the top was finished. Notice how the final flap is tucked under.

Here is the top of the tin. Notice the lack of puckering/dimpling.
A good quality paper helps

Here I added a double ribbon (organza wire edged and a grosgrain) in coordinating colors
I am very pleased with the way that this turned out. I hope my friend likes it. Now isn't this better than just getting a tin of chocolates in a gaudy tin?


1 comment:

Lilith Laing said...

Oh wow it looks like a classic, vintage tin. The Japanese paper was an excellent choice. I really must attempt this myself, I have so many gifts I want to give - and so many horrible tins!