Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Wrapping Tutorial--Materials

Today is the first in a series of tutorials on wrapping the perfect present. We will begin with the materials necessary to beautifully wrap a gorgeous gift. Please keep in mind that you do not need all of the materials that I am showing you. As with anything, the better materials you have the easier the job will be.

The first item on the menu--rules and straight edges. I use a variety of rules to help in the cutting of paper. Also, I use rulers to make pleats in the paper when I want to wrap a special gift. Quilter's rules really help in that they are clear and easily marked. A grid ruler also comes in handy. I especially like the grid ruler that has a metal edge so you can use your rotary cutter or a scalpel while using the ruler. I also use a several lengths of cork-backed rulers as well. 


The second item that I use is a variety of tape. I primarily use 3M double sided tape without liners. I also use double sided take with liners for other projects but not for wrapping. I usually have two widths of double sided tape--1/4 and 1/2 inch tape and dispensers. I also use Scotch brand tape during the wrapping process. While it might seem like overkill, I have a separate dispenser for each size tape. I find it easier to have separate dispensers rather than having to switch out each roll of tape every time that I use a different tape (for some inexplicable reason, I have 1/2 inch tape on two separate dispensers--I have no idea why this happened when I took this picture).


There are a variety of miscellaneous items that I also use that make the job easier--a glue stick, a bone folder (the one pictured is a Teflon folder that does not leave marks when using on paper), scissors, scalpel, and a glue gun for adhering stubborn items and thick paper (this is a low heat glue gun which is definitely preferably when working with paper).


Other necessary items are twine (this is colored baker's twine that is available in several colors) and loads of ribbon. I was always taught that a package is naked without some time of material to hold the wrapping together. I prefer to use wire edged ribbon in a variety of sizes but also have trims, gingham ribbon, satin ribbons, and various other types of ribbon. Pictured here is also a tape measure that should have been included in the rulers above. A quick measurement with a tape measure saves lots of time and wastes less paper.


One organization trick that I use for my ribbon storage is snack sized Ziploc bags. Also, I take the ribbon off of the spools and put them on paddles made from scrap Davey Board. I can store a lot more ribbon in a smaller space by keeping it flat and taking it off of those giant spools.



Finally, there are all sorts of holiday decorations that I add to many of my holiday gifts. The wrapping and decorations become a gift unto themselves. Here is a collection of holiday ornaments, garlands, specialty papers, tags and ribbon that I use during the holidays. I find it easier to keep them in an extra suitcase that I can bring out during this special time of year. Also, since I give gift wrapping lessons and attend gift wrapping parties, it is much easier to simply roll my suitcase from venue to venue. Many times, my gift to my friends is a free gift wrapping for that special present they want to give that special someone.


 While I will be demonstrating gift wrapping ideas for the holidays, these tutorials are good for any gift wrapping occasion.








No comments: