Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Iron Craft Challenge 12

This week we were asked to do something with photographs.  There were many options that I considered. I don't have very many pictures so I decided to use a birthday card that I received from a good friend.  I thought about making a book or a picture cube but I decided to make a homemade picture frame that I can put on the refrigerator.

The picture is a standard four by six picture.  The frame itself is five by seven.  The frame is cut out of Davey board and is wrapped in hand marbled paper.  I wanted to use a muted palette since there was so much color in the picture.

The picture is protected by a piece of mylar/transparency.











The back of the frame is covered by matte board that has been hinged so that you can have easy access to the picture should you want to change it. The magnets are attached to the matte board so it can be used on the refrigerator.




The matte board also covers all of the mechanical elements of the frame.  Here is the inside of the frame.  The picture is taped for easy access. The acetate is taped in using double sided tape.  The matte board is hinged on the opposite side of the tape for the picture.


This is an easy project with very few materials.  All in all, it took me 25 minutes to complete. Now that all of the materials have been measured, I can probably complete these in about 10 minutes.

1 comment:

kat said...

Oh, I see you didn't take the photo like I asked in Flickr. It's a cute card. That is a great fridge frame, much nicer than the cheap plastic ones you see.