Thursday, June 7, 2012

Iron Craft Challenge 9

I wanted to start making boxes for a project that I will be exhibiting in Japan for the 2012-2013 season. The goal of my project is to make a collection of boxes that holds individual pieces of candy. In order to prepare, I decided to make mock-ups using a larger item and then "shrink" it to the size of candy.  In this case, I decided to make a box to hold macaroons--which seem all the craze in Manhattan.

 
Here is the top view of the box. There are obviously four compartments each with its own lid. The lid is recessed into the box so that the top is flush with the walls of the box. This was what took me so long to calculate and manufacture. What I ended up constructing was a box with dividers that held four individual boxes. The individual boxes were one board's thickness small that the the outside box so that the lid could recess into the divided box.







Here is the side view of the box. The outer box is covered with book cloth and I used a strip of the decorative paper as an accent on the outside of the box. The Japanese always like a blast of color on an otherwise blank surface. This is traditionally done in Japanese box making.







Here is a top view of the box with one of the lids open. Each box is lined with white crane paper. There is a removal liner in the bottom of each individual box so that the macaroons don't soil or discolor the box. I have found that macaroons should be eaten within two or three days of manufacture. Because most macaroons are filled with some type of liquid, I decided to have a removable liner so the recipient can use the box after the macaroons are eaten. (I apologize for the fuzzy picture--I don't know why it came out that way).


 I don't know why the New Blogger rotates my pictures. It really is an annoyance and wish that I could have the older Blogger back.

1 comment:

kat said...

Ugh I hate when something changes my pictures rotation & I have to try all different tricks to fix it. I forgot you are doing the exibition in Japan, this is a great idea for it.