Sunday, March 11, 2012

Box a Week Challenge--Box #3

This week, I decided to make another box for my own use. I was under a time crunch because I procrastinated. First, I didn't know what I wanted to make (I have so many box ideas that I want to make that I have a hard time deciding exactly what to make each week). Secondly, I received news that I was chosen to exhibit a work(s) at the Louis Vuitton exhibit space in Tokyo during the 2012-2013 season. Here is a link to their current exhibit. Because of the good news, I think that I celebrated a little too much and should have concentrated on making this week's box. Having said that--We also lost an hour to Daylight Savings Time.


I know, I know. The box looks a little pedestrian on the outside. A tallish box with a thin spine. What could it be? The answer is that is a variation on a classic clamshell box. The clamshell box is comprised to two trays that are affixed to a hinged case. Here, I used a double sized Unryu paper from Thailand. The beauty of this paper is that it will usually stand the time of opening and closing in the joints so that you don't have to use book cloth for the hinges.

In January, we were challenged to make sleeves for an iPad or electronic reader here . So, I decided to make a box to hold my iPad. I know, you can buy cases to do the same thing but I wanted to be able to make my own. The Unryu paper is the blue/lime green combination. I decided to use the blue for the outside and the top tray so when the box is closed it looks as if the entire structure is blue. When you open the box, you see that the bottom tray and the hinge uses the lime green side. The lining papers are crayon decorated wax paper that was sealed.

(above) The opened box

I wanted the box to seem as if nothing special was inside so that I wouldn't get mugged for my iPad. Also, when carrying my iPad in my bag or backpack, there is even an extra layer of protection which will provide very useful when traveling.

(above) The opened box with the hard case and smart cover.

I might have to color coordinate my smart cover with my new box but orange is my favorite color and I might have a hard time getting rid of it.

(above)--My iPad with the cover in back

One of the beauties of making an item yourself is that you can customize the item to your own tastes and liking. One variation of the clam shell box that I made is that the bottom tray has a cutout to allow the iPad to be charged while in the box. The top tray disguises that cutout when closed.

2 comments:

kat said...

What a beautiful, useful box. But I have to say I am so excited you have been chosen for the exhibition. Did the pick are particular piece are do you need to make something? Iron Craft road trip to Tokyo?!

Dr. Russ said...

Kat, thanks for the comments. I have to make something specifically for the exhibit. I have some thought but haven't decided on anything yet.