Saturday, June 20, 2009

Safeguard your Paperback Books

I have been so busy lately that I haven't had time to blog. I recently had an order of 150 truffle boxes that were for a wedding reception. The bride and groom wanted to give each of their guests a truffle box that would hold two chocolate truffles. Usually, I turn down all orders from brides because they are usually more trouble than the business is worth. This situation was a little different because the maid of honor is a very good friend of mine and she practically begged me to do the order.

On top of this order, I have been very busy with classes at The Center for Book Arts. I am currently enrolled in Bookbinding II and have been taking weekend classes in other specialties. Right now, I am developing edge treatments for my books. I have to practice to decide what and how I want to approach the projects.

Rather than sew up a lot of signatures and text blocks to practice on, I have been utilizing EVERY single paperback I have in my studio. Therefore, no paperback is safe. Here is my first attempt at edge treatments. It is a color wash with a speckle treatment. The color wash was done with an rubber stamping ink pad. The speckle treatment was done with a toothbrush and Dr. PH Martins concentrated water colors.

I do have to say that I am quite pleased with the outcome.

No comments: