Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Crafting on the Road

When I am traveling and have some time off, I try and visit the local arts and craft stores in the area. Sometimes, I will visit the local Michaels store or a fine arts store. Mainly, I try and visit the mom and pop type stores that depend on local crafters for a living.

In these difficult times, it is important for us to visit these stores because their livelihood is depend upon people like us--the independent crafter or the avocational crafter. For me, any place that has paper is a store for me. I can usually find a local scrapbook store that caters to the locals.

When I was on tour recently, I found my way into The Scrapper's Corner in Klamath Falls, Oregon. The store was a single story structure loaded to the hilt with scrapbooking items. The people there were so nice and we chatted as if we had been friends for years. In the back room, there was a class being taught regarding the Cricut machine.

Since, I am not a scrapbooker, I looked for items that I could use for my cards and for bookbinding. I bought some Christmas items that were on sale. Yet, I did find one product that I am hoping to use for my bookbinding.

The product is by Bazzill (a company that is familiar to me for its wonderful cardstock) and is called In Stitch'z. It is a series of mylar templates with holes for piercing. You are supposed to piece the holes and then embroider the pattern; it is primarily designed to add stitching/embroidery on scrapbook pages. What I hope to do is embroider bookcloth before casing in a book.

Thanks to Kristen Knoll and the women at The Scrapper's Corner. I enjoyed my time in your store and our chats.
Embroidery Templates by Bazzill

No comments: