Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Mr. Nice Guy


I saw an ad on Craigslist for some old Bingo cards. I was a little intrigued and decided to inquire regarding the cards. I received a call from a priest who said that he had a box of old Bingo cards that he wanted to sell. Being the holiday season and being that this was a Catholic church, I decided to buy the cards since it was going to help out the church.

I didn’t ask for dimensions or pictures or anything else. We just agreed that I would buy the lot for $50 and I would throw in an extra $25 if the priest would deliver them to me.

I don’t know what I was expecting but this is what I received. Three hundred Bingo cards like those pictured above. They are an odd size. I don’t ever remember Bingo cards looking like these. I remember the dark green ones with the little red sliding windows or the cardboard cards that you would daub with one of those Bingo markers.

So the big question comes—what to do with them? They are 4 7/8” wide by 10 ½” tall and a thickness of 1/8”. The top of the card to the bottom of the first grid is 5” long. From the top of the letters that says the name of the church to the bottom of the card is 5 1/8” long. So theoretically I could get two 4 7/8” by 5” cards—one would say Bingo and the second would say the name of the church.

Just thinking out loud. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4 comments:

fingerstothebone said...

You could use them for an edition of artist's books...about bingo, about church, about church AND bingo? Or maybe about something else all together. Roberta Lavadour did a book using paper pads waiters/waitresses use to take your order. If you haven't checked out her website, missioncreekpress.com, you should do so immediately! You'll find lots of inspirations.

Dr. Russ said...

thanks--heading there now.

Jodi Renshaw said...

You could also make some great journals ... (similar to mine). Or some altered art similar to Claudine Hellmuth.

susi said...

Or you could always sell them in your etsy shop and I would certainly buy some from you! Love your blog. I hearted your shop too.