Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Good Deed for the Day

I was reading some of my favorite blogs (thank you Google reader) and read of a new interest that one of the authors had recently developed. As I read the blog, I realized that I had a book sitting on my shelves that this person would probably enjoy. Since I haven't continued with the craft that the book was dealing with, I decided to send the book to the blog's author as a surprise holiday present.

It was one of those spur-of-the-moment decisions as I was getting ready to head into work this morning. I didn't have time to wrap the book. I simply threw it into my bag, tossed in a handmade greeting card that I had in my stash, and jumped on the subway.

The project had a lot of good karma floating around. I got to the post office expecting mass chaos and there were no lines. The padded envelope fit the book perfectly. The attendant at the post office wasn't harried and we exchanged pleasantries.

So, it started off a good day today. Tonight, some of my friends and I will go and do "Drive by Carolling." Many of my friends have the night off tomorrow from performing in their Broadway shows or they are in between shows at the moment. Every year, we get together at about 10 pm and jump into a van. We drive along a major highway--either north or south (decided by a flip of a coin). We stop at any establishment that is open overnight or 24 hours (truck stops, restaurants, gas stations, etc.) and sing Christmas carols to the employees and guests.

I used to work in retail and it always sucked to have to work on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. This is our way of making working on such a glorious night/day sting a little less.

Here's wishing you and yours a glorious holiday season.

Best wishes--russ aka Dr. Russ

1 comment:

fingerstothebone said...

That's a great story; and excellent karma at the p o.