Monday, November 3, 2008

Even More Japan Pictures

I am notorious for getting lost. When I was growing up, I was used to getting directions like "go to the red barn and turn left" or "go to the Dairy Queen, cross the street until you get to the Hardys and walk five minutes and it will be on your left."


The concepts of North, South, East and West are totally alien to me. How in the hell am I supposed to know where the sun is at any given moment and from which direction it came? It's not as if I am mapping the trajectory of the sun when I need to go somewhere.


When I am in foreign places, I always take my camera with me. This way, I take pictures of the major signs so that I can look at the digital images on my camera to know where I am supposed to go. This have been quite helpful when I am in a country where I do not speak the language. I simply go the picture in my viewfinder, show it to the person that I have stopped for directions and point. Usually, it works.

So in total regard for full disclosure, I share the following pictures:


My hotel was within walking distance from this subway station.


I love the way that the stations were numbered. It is easy to know if you are going in the right direction.


I always take pictures of the intersections. It really helps





In Japan, if you want to stand on the escalator you stand on the left side and let the moving traffic (i.e., the people who want to walk up the escalator) move on the right hand side. The Japanese are so polite that they post the above signs so that everyone knows how to act correctly on the escalator. In New York, people just yell at you to get the &*$*$ out of the way.

No comments: